If you’re in love with the creamy flavor of salmon dip but want to avoid the heaviness of cream cheese, no worries! We will share a terrific salmon dip without cream cheese recipe with you right here.
So what are you waiting for? Let’s get started on this fantastic recipe that will impress your family!
Table of Contents
How to Make Salmon Dip without Cream Cheese
The key to this salmon dip recipe is to use butter to replace cream cheese. You can also use Greek yogurt or avocado to achieve the same outcome.
Here are three steps to help you prepare a healthy, tasty salmon dip.
Step 1: Prepare the Ingredients
The dip goes best with smoked salmon, so the dip recipe we recommend here is for hot smoked salmon. You can buy store-bought food or do it yourself.
If you buy smoked salmon from the store, remember to check its net carbs and ingredients.
After getting the fish, you need to prepare fresh dill, capers, butter, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, pepper, and salt to make the dip.
Step 2: Make the Dip
You have everything you need in your hand. To make your salmon dip, peel the salmon skin, chop the dill, and mince the garlic.
Now, combine the smoked salmon and the prepared ingredients in a food processor until the mixture turns creamy and smooth. Then, add salt and pepper to season.
If the dip looks thick, add more olive oil while blending, and stop when you see the desired texture.
You can also customize the taste of your dip. For example, pepper flakes and smoked paprika will enhance its flavor.
Step 3: Chill the Dip and Serve
The dip is ready, and you need to chill it in the fridge for a few hours. Then, keep it at room temperature before eating.
What to Serve with Salmon Dip without Cream Cheese?
You have made delicious salmon dip even without cream. Yet, only when you pair it with a suitable dish can it yield a rewarding experience. Luckily, your salmon dip is a versatile appetizer. Here are some ideas you don’t want to miss:
- Celery sticks: The creamy flavor of the salmon dip complements crunchy celery sticks. They will give you a tasty snack.
- Cucumber slices: If you need a refreshing and healthy cuisine for hot summer days, consider pairing your salmon dip with cucumber slices. This combination is low-carb and low-calories which makes it an excellent choice for those who are on a diet.
- Low-carb crackers: Like the celery sticks, the low-carb crackers and salmon dip make a healthy and delicious snack for those who are watching their carbohydrate intake.
How to Store Salmon Dip without Cream Cheese
The longer you chill your dip, the more flavors it develops. You can refrigerate it in an airtight container for up to three days.
Freezing the raw salmon can help it last longer. However, this storage method isn’t suitable for the salmon dip as its quality and texture will change after thawing. Hence, chilling it in the refrigerator is the best solution.
Besides, you don’t have to reheat your refrigerated salmon dip before serving. All you have to do is to bring your dip to room temperature to preserve its consistency.
Variations of the Salmon Dip without Cream Cheese Recipe
Feel free to experiment with your favorite ingredients when making the dip. Let’s see how the ideas below bring you a new dining experience:
- Aside from salmon, you can try adding smoked mackerel or trout.
- Add mustard to the dip to enhance its flavor if you love a spicy kick.
- Some chopped tomatoes will make your dip look more appetizing.
How Long Does Salmon Dip Last?
Store the dip in an airtight container, and it can stay there for three days in the refrigerator. If you want to serve it, take some and keep it at room temperature for a while before serving.
What Cheese Pairs Best with Smoked Salmon?
The best kinds of cheese to pair with smoked salmon are brie, gouda, cream cheese, parmesan, Havarti, Neufchatel, feta cheese, and cheddar.
What Flavors Go Well with Smoked Salmon?
Smoked salmon tastes best when served with lemons, crème frâiche, and light herbs like dill or basil.
This salmon dip without cream cheese recipe will be a healthier and more delicious alternative to classic dips. So if you are craving a tasty salmon dip, try it!
Hopefully, you have learned something new today and are ready to impress your family with your culinary skills.
If you need ideas or recipes for your favorite dish, do not hesitate to comment in the section below. We will cover it in the next post. Thank you for reading!
Salmon Dip Without Cream Cheese
- 1 food processor
- 4 ounces smoked salmon
- 2 tbsp fresh dill
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- Peel the salmon skin, chop the dill, and mince the garlic.
- Blend all the ingredients in a food processor until the dip turns creamy and smooth.
- Season the dip with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the newly-made dip to a bowl and refrigerate it for a few hours in the refrigerator.
- Bring the dip to room temperature and enjoy.
- Calories: 229
- Total Fat: 21.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 10.8 g
- Cholesterol: 49 mg
- Sodium: 1730 mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 2 g
- Dietary Fiber: 0.4 g
- Total Sugars: 0.1 g
- Protein: 7.7 g