Various cornbread recipes are available on the internet, but Patti Labelle hot water cornbread recipe is the most well-known and straightforward to prepare.
Many people love this Paula Deen recipe due to its delectable taste. Also, it is relatively easy to follow if you want to cook it at home.
If you are also interested in this famous recipe, it’s time to read this post to know the ingredients and the instructions. Let’s get started!
Table of Contents
This recipe for fried cornbread, among famous chef Paula Deen’s most well-known dishes, has been available to the general public.
It’s a delicacy to enjoy as a snack or side dish for any meal. You can serve this treat with ketchup or mustard.
Making this dish is easy as you can easily find the ingredients in any local grocery store.
Each component perfectly harmonizes with the others to create a very delectable flavor.
Mixing more finely chopped veggies with the batter to spread it evenly is a good idea.
It would be best if you deep-fried this dish until it turns golden brown. Your cornbread should have a crispy outside and a soft inside.
The dish is quick and straightforward to prepare. To create the perfect Patti Labelle hot water cornbread, follow the directions in this recipe below!
How to Make Patti Labelle Hot Water Cornbread
This recipe is not as complicated as you thought. Let’s follow the step-by-step instructions below:
Before making this delicacy, make sure you prepare enough of the following ingredients:
- Yellow cornmeal: 2 cups
- Canola oil: 2 cups
- Salt: 1 ½ teaspoon
- Sugar: 1 teaspoon
- Green onions (sliced): ¼ cup
- Thyme leaves (fresh): 2 teaspoons
- Hot water: 2 cups
Step 1: Heat the Canola Oil
Fill a large cast iron pan with oil until the sides are halfway up.
Before frying, heat the Canola oil to a moderate temperature for 1 to 2 minutes. Avoid letting the oil sit in the pan for a long time.
That’s because it will cause the batter’s top to burn off quicker and the inside to stay slightly undercooked.
The poorly cooked batter will be unappealing to everyone. Hence, heat this oil for no longer than two minutes before using it for frying.
Step 2: Mix All Ingredients Prepared in Advance
While waiting for the heating oil, combine yellow cornmeal, sugar, salt, fresh thyme leaves, and sliced green onions in a bowl.
Slowly pour hot water into this combination. Remember to stir well until the mixture is completely smooth.
This step is essential to ensure your cornbread can achieve a good texture. This way, the mixture won’t have lumps.
Step 3: Shape Your Cornbread
Moisten your hands with water. Carefully press your batter into large tablespoonfuls with your hands.
Step 4: Deep-Fry Cakes
Cook your cornbread for approximately five minutes in batches once the Canola oil is hot.
Cook each side well until golden and crisp brown. Remember to rotate halfway through.
Step 5: Enjoy Your Dish
After frying, you can use paper towels to drain your Patti Labelle hot water cornbread.
It’s time to serve your delicious cake! You can eat them with your favorite condiments, such as ketchup or mustard.
What to Serve with Patti Labelle Hot Water Cornbread
You can serve Patti Labelle hot water cornbread as a snack or a side dish. For instance, you can eat these cakes with the following delicious dishes:
- Slow Cooker Beans and Ham
- Ground Beef Chili
- Slow Cooker Pork Chops And Gravy
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- New England Clam Chowder
- Slow Cooker BBQ Beef
- Hamburger Vegetable Soup
- Dutch Oven Pot Roast
- Southern Style Collard Greens
- Easy Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Baked Beans and Weenies
Besides, these cakes are delicious when crumbled, buttered in milk, or paired with fruit preserves or honey butter as a snack.
Some people enjoy them hot right out of the oven or eat them with waffles and bacon for breakfast.
What Ingredients Keep Cornbread from Crumbling?
Crumbliness is the most common problem when you make cornbread. To avoid this issue, you can consider the following methods:
- Adjust the cooking method (Don’t over-mix the batter; control the temperature; use cast iron)
- Add dry ingredients (Use more flour; add frozen corn; add cheese)
- Tweak wet ingredients (milk, butter, oil)
Why Is My Cornbread So Dry and Crumbly?
Here are some reasons, mainly if you’re using a prepared mix:
- You have kneaded the batter too much. A lot of mixing might dry it out.
- You overbaked the dish, or the temperature in your oven is incorrect.
What Does Adding an Extra Egg to Cornbread Do?
The egg yolks will aid in giving the mixture moisture. A finished cake with more eggs should be richer and much less crumbly.
Does Cornbread Taste Better with Oil or Butter?
The answer depends on your taste! The cornbread is tender, thanks to the oil.
On the other hand, the cake’s texture will be firmer and cakier with butter than with oil.
Should Cornbread Batter Be Thick or Thin?
The consistency of the batter for cornbread should be a little thicker than that of pancake batter.
Yet, it would be best to make it loose enough to pour it from a bowl into a pan.
This way, you can ensure that the bread will have adequate moisture when you take it out of the oven and that it won’t be hard or dry.
What Are the Black Specks in Cornbread?
The black specks in your cornbread are typically dark spots of the corn’s pericarp, where the kernel tip adheres to the stalk.
In a Nutshell
It’s easy to follow this Patti Labelle hot water cornbread recipe and make delicious cakes for your beloved family!
With simple ingredients in every kitchen, you can make flavorful snacks for your children at the weekend.
Hopefully, our guides will be helpful to you. Thank you for reading, and always check our website for tastier recipes.
Patti Labelle Hot Water Cornbread
- 1 large cast iron pan
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups Canola oil
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¼ cup green onions (sliced)
- 2 tsp thyme leaves (fresh)
Heat the oil
- Fill a large cast iron pan with oil until the sides are halfway up.
- Before frying, heat the Canola oil to a moderate temperature for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Avoid letting the oil sit in the pan for a long time.
Mix all ingredients prepared in advance
- While waiting for the heating oil, combine yellow cornmeal, sugar, salt, fresh thyme leaves, and sliced green onions in a bowl.
- Slowly pour hot water into this combination. Remember to stir well until the mixture is completely smooth.
Shape your cornbread
- Moisten your hands with water. Carefully press your batter into large tablespoonfuls with your hands.
- Cook your cornbread for approximately five minutes in batches once the Canola oil is hot.
- Cook each side well until golden and crisp brown. Remember to rotate halfway through.
Enjoy your dish
- After frying, you can use paper towels to drain your Patti Labelle hot water cornbread.
- It’s time to serve your delicious cake! You can eat them with your favorite condiments, such as ketchup or mustard.
- Calories: 380
- Total Fat: 26 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 16 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 6 g
- Sodium: 553 mg
- Protein: 4 g
- Total Carbohydrates: 35 g
- Dietary Fiber: 3 g
- Sugars: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg